Each year Askam take on two apprentices to start in Aug/Sept. One Apprentice Groundworker and One Apprentice Civil Engineer. These apprenticeships are suitable to school leavers, and will be paid at apprenticeship rates.
The Apprentice Groundworker will attend college on a day release basis to study for a Level 2 Diploma in Construction Operations. Our current Apprentice Groundworkers attend the Skills Construction Centre at Kirkham near Preston. As an Apprentice Groundworker in addition to attending college you will receive on-site training and will also be required to attend training sessions at other venues in order to gain your CSCS Labourers Card as well as other certificates e.g. Manual Handling, Abrasive Wheels, Asbestos Awareness, Face Fit, Cat & Genny. Over time as your capabilities grow training will be extended to machinery handling such as Forward Tipping Dumpers, Ride on Rollers and Excavators.
Skills and Qualifications you will need to be considered for the Apprentice Groundworker Role are:
- GCSE Maths, English
- You will need to be of a practical nature. Enjoy working outdoors in all weathers.
The Apprentice Civil Engineer will attend college on a day release basis to study for a Level 4 HNC in Civil Engineering with the Site Technician Standard. Our current Apprentice Civil Engineers attend Preston College at Fulwood, Preston. For the first 12 months you will mainly be based within our head office to learn our systems, policies and procedures and get hands on training in using them relating to various aspects of the business from Tenders and Estimating to Quantity Surveying, understanding drawings, costings, purchasing and invoicing.
Skills and Qualifications you will need to be considered for the Apprentice Civil Engineer Role are:
- A’ Levels / BTech or equivalents in Maths, Science or IT and English at GCSE.
- The ability to drive will be a necessity as time goes on.
- You need to have a Pro-active Personality. It is important that you are asking questions and actively seek to further your understanding in all aspects.
- You need to be a Practical and a Logical Thinker. You need the ability to work through tasks in a strategic manor, there will be countless pieces of information to digest and understand.
- You need Strong Interpersonal Skills. You will encounter people from all walks of life, having the ability to gauge characters and approach them in a suitable manor is necessary.
We will review all applications in May/June each year, so if around this time you would like to be considered please e-mail a copy of your C.V. to email@example.com